NameJet distributed a press release today announcing the upcoming sale of the triple repeating VVV.com domain name. The press release stated that it “is believed to be the first time in history, a 3 letter repeating .com domain name is being offered in public auction.” VVV.com was recently owned by Andrew Rosener’s Media Options, but the domain name is now under privacy so I do not know if his company still owns it.
Obviously, there are only 26 3 letter repeating .com domain names, and I thought it would be interesting to see how each of these are being used. Here is what I found for these LLL.com domain names:
- AAA.com – AAA
- BBB.com – Forwards to Better Business Bureau website
- CCC.com – Cole Computer Consulting
- DDD.com – Company called DDD that trades on London Stock Exchange
- EEE.com – Parked
- FFF.com – Forwards to PFOA.com
- GGG.com – Forwards to GirlsGoGames.com
- HHH.com – Forwards to 3Character.com
- III.com – Company called Innovative
- JJJ.com – Chinese website
- KKK.com – KKK
- LLL.com – Not working
- MMM.com – Forwards to 3M.com
- NNN.com – Bad Gateway
- OOO.com – Chinese website
- PPP.com – PPP.com landing page
- QQQ.com – Forwards to 7Q.com
- RRR.com – Risk Retention Reporter website
- SSS.com – Network Solutions default landing page
- TTT.com – Coming soon
- UUU.com – Forwards to a Google login page
- VVV.com – Auction
- WWW.com – Parked
- XXX.com – Adult website
- YYY.com – Does not resolve
- ZZZ.com – Internet Communications, Inc.
With pre-bidding underway, VVV.com has 266 bidders participating with a high bid of $20,000. The auction is a reserve auction, and it has not yet met its reserve. The backorder deadline to participate in this auction is Monday. My guess is VVV.com will sell for low 6 figures (assuming reserve is met). As a comparable, the longer VVVV.com domain name sold for $22,100 on NameJet in December of 2014.
The (non-affiliate) link to the VVV.com auction can be found here.