For the last few months, Bing has been asking people to use BingItOn.com to see a side by side comparison of Bing and Google search results. The idea behind the marketing campaign is to get people to see that Bing’s results are more helpful than Google’s.
It’s a neat campaign, and although I don’t plan to switch from Google to Bing, I wanted to see how .com exact match domains (EMD) rank on Bing vs. Googles. For this comparison, I somewhat randomly chose 20 keyword terms (where the .com is developed) and shared the rank of that EMD on Google and Bing for the keyword if it is in the top 10. If not, in the top 10, I listed it is “NR” for no ranking. I did not count news, image, or local results. I always chose the left result so I could tell which is Bing and which is Google.
One reason I think this is interesting is that the search is done for the keyword at the exact same time from the same search location. Presumably, it doesn’t take my past searches into consideration as a normal search would, so theoretically, my search results shouldn’t be skewed by that. It’s also from the same location so local results should theoretically be similar.
Keep a couple important factors in mind when looking through the results of my test. When I checked to see if the EMD is developed, I did not review the content. If the EMD contains mostly copied content (ie doesn’t have unique content or isn’t a full on website), it will likely not rank well in either Google or Bing. The other thing to keep in mind is that this is a snapshot in time from whatever IP address their site uses. It might not be entirely replicable because of constant algorithm tweaks.
Below are my results:
- Hotels: Google #1 vs. Bing #1
- Car Insurance: Google #NR vs. Bing #6
- Used Cars: Google #6 vs. Bing #2
- Wine: Google #1 vs. Bing #3
- Movie Tickets: Google #1 vs. Bing #1
- Pet Food: Google #NR vs. Bing #4
- Candy: Google #NR vs. Bing #1
- Halloween Costumes: Google #6 vs. Bing #1
- SEO: Google #NR vs. Bing #2
- Domain Names: Google #7 vs. Bing #4
- Paris Hotels: Google #5 vs. Bing #NR
- Down Pillows: Google #6 vs. Bing #2
- Cheesecake: Google #NR vs. Bing #1
- Foreclosure: Google #5 vs. Bing #1
- Candles: Google #NR vs. Bing #1
- Casino: Google #NR vs. Bing #3
- Picture Frames: Google #1 vs. Bing #1
- American Flags: Google #3 vs. Bing #1
- DUI Attorney: Google #3 vs. Bing #4
- Bobbleheads: Google #1 vs. Bing #1
You are more than welcome to do the BingItOn.com comparison and share where EMDs rank on Bing vs. Google in the comment area of this post.