Yesterday, I wrote about the landing page on TrumpPence.com and how I thought the registrar generated PPC (pay per click) links could be risky for the domain owner, even though the owner doesn’t have control over the links nor benefits from them. Smartly, it looks like that temporary landing page has been updated to reflect that the domain is for sale.
Now that Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, has officially announced that Indiana Governor Mike Pence will be his Vice Presidential running mate, the TrumpPence.com domain name has value. I would think potential suitors include the Trump campaign, super PACs or other groups that support Mr. Trump, or even super PACs and groups that oppose Mr. Trump’s candidacy. Perhaps an opponent of Mr. Trump would want to own this domain name.
The registrar landing page is gone, and in its place is a landing page announcing that the TrumpPence.com domain name is for sale:
On the landing page, it looks like the domain name owner provided an email address to use to get in touch. In addition, the phone number for the Network Solutions brokerage team was provided for potential suitors to submit an offer. Personally, I would have not done that to enable me to see who is making the offers, although there may be an added layer of protection to ensure offers are legitimate and that an accepted offer goes through to completion.
Last night, I sent an email to the email address listed on the landing page asking for the price and other information about why the domain name was registered. As of the time of publication, I have not heard back from the owner of TrumpPence.com, but I will be sure to update this article if I do hear back and there is information to share.
All domianers should take note of what exactly happened here. A lot of people could learn something.
1. There is no register trademark involved.
2. No ppc links.
3. Perfect timing something out in left field is now top of mind.
4. Limited marking value. Even if an offer is not consummated. If Trump is elected this domain has a shelf life!
5.The owner could post a lot of negative info on trump and would create vale and adversity to the trump campaign. Trump’s real estate tm are useless here…
I am not a lawyer, but here are some replies:
1) “Trump” is a trademark and there are many “Trump” trademarks.
2) There were yesterday, although they weren’t benefitting the domain owner. Not sure how a UDRP panel or court would look at this: https://www.domaininvesting.com/trumppence-com-could-registrar-ppc-links-put-domain-at-risk/
3) Yes, I agree.
4) I disagree. I don’t think the domain name is critical to the campaign, but it looks like the current administration owns or controls ObamaBiden.com and uses the domanin name.
5) Yes, that is true but that would likely lead to a vigourous legal response.
Trump is a trademark. I am interested if this name sells or is put into litigation. Can’t be said now that it is generic since it is coupled with Pense.
Considering that Trump is all but on his hands and knees and taking out full page ads begging the country to make sure Hillary Clinton really wins instead of him, I’d say he and his campaign will probably have no real interest in obtaining this domain and won’t make the slightest effort beyond perhaps a disingenuous threat to sue just for show, or unless they can get it real cheap.
No one is sure about this name until Team Trump tries to get this name by litigation.I think mine MikepenceVicepresident.com is better name for Pence. Got two low ball offers of $200 and $300 since yesterday.
I think the name registrar should take the $5,000 being offered.
how much value this domain name..
Less than the reg fee