I’ve been on vacation since the beginning of July, and I just returned home. One of the best things about being a domain investor is that I can work just about anywhere with an Internet connection, so this has been a working vacation. I guess one of the bad things about being a domain investor is that there are always things to do, so it’s nearly impossible for me to take a “real” vacation. All in all, I really don’t mind, but I won’t tell you what my wife thinks 🙂
If you’ve emailed or called me during the last 3+ weeks, it will take me a few days to get back to everyone, so my apologies in advance for anything. Here are some things I learned while on my vacation:
– South Florida seems to be a relaxing place for me to work. I love living in New York City, but I haven’t felt more relaxed in a long time. I suppose being on the ocean, sitting by the pool, and playing tennis helped to keep me relaxed.
– John Ferber and Chad Folkening have quite the setup in Domain Holdings. The company seems to have some smart people working for them (including Brian “Teen Domainer” Diener for the summer). I had lunch and dinner with John, and I am planning to work with them when I get some things in order.
– If you live in South Florida and have a dog, you should check out the Delray Dogtacular event John’s girlfriend Jenna has been organizing in Delray Beach on July 31.
– The South Florida domain investors group puts on some fun events with quite a large number of regular attendees. I wasn’t able to attend the cruise because friends of ours came to town for a few days, but I heard it was a fun event. If you are visiting Florida (or live there) you should see if there’s an event planned.
– Mike and Judi Berkens have a beautiful home in North Carolina, and their mountain views are pretty much unmatchable in the area. I spent a few days in the North Carolina mountains and got to spend some time with Mike and Judi while there.
– Take my Craigslist tip with a grain of salt. It’s possible that what I recommended may lead to a website TOS violation if you post too frequently.
– In thinking about .CO drops and sales, I do think there will be a whole lot of drops, but I also think there will be plenty of people buying these drops hoping to strike gold. IMO, many people (even I) think their domain names are worth more than they probably are, and when we see a name that we think is worth something, it’s likely we’ll try to grab it and buy it even though someone else dropped it. I guess it’s a part of the domain lifecycle.
– Apparently a baby’s heart starts beating 18 days after conception. At least that’s what the dozens of anti-abortion billboards in Florida would have you think. There are also a ton of places to buy fireworks, see strippers, and visit a spa. On this trip, I didn’t do any of the above. It’s such a different lifestyle in the south.
– If you pass a Waffle House on your travels, I highly recommend stopping for some breakfast. I think that and Tudor’s Biscuit World (in West Virginia) are two of my favorite