Whois privacy seems to be a bit misunderstood by the general public and even some people in the technology sector. I regularly see news articles, social media posts, and other references that mention a Whois privacy / Whois proxy service without a clear understanding about the company or the purpose it serves.
There are many good reasons to use a Whois privacy or Whois proxy service. Of course some people who do bad things also use services to keep their Whois information private, but just because some bad actors use them, it doesn’t mean there is not a valid purpose for them.
Most domain registrars offer some form of Whois privacy or Whois proxy service. In fact, many of the companies that offer privacy / proxy services are related to the domain registrar. Whois privacy services are probably a nice upsell revenue stream for domain registrars.
Because of the confusion about these services, I thought I would share a list of popular Whois privacy / proxy services and the registrar that offers the services (if applicable). Some of these services may be offered at multiple domain registrars, and some may be independent services chosen individually by domain registrants.
- Domains by Proxy, LLC – GoDaddy
- Perfect Privacy, LLC – Network Solutions and Register.com (Web.com)
- Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc. – Enom and Name.com
- Moniker Privacy Services, LLC – Moniker
- WhoisGuard, Inc. – NameCheap
- WhoisProxy.com Ltd.
- Domain Privacy Service
- Contact Privacy Inc.
- Privacy.Link – Uniregistry
- IDPS International Domain Privacy Services GmbH
- Obfuscated whois Gandi-63-65 boulevard Massena – Gandi
If I missed any larger Whois privacy / proxy service, or if I listed something incorrectly, please let me know!