Over the weekend, the business section of the New Zealand Herald featured an article about the growing business of Escrow.com. Featuring some insight from Freelancer.com CEO Matt Barrie, the article offered some insight into what Escrow.com does and how the company has grown into “almost a monopoly” in the domain name space. As you may recall, Escrow.com was acquired by Freelancer.com for $7.5 million USD in 2016 (the deal was announced in 2015).
The article is a pretty quick read, and you should take the time to read it when you have a chance. Here are a few interesting facts about Escrow.com that were shared in the article:
- Escrow.com has 72 employees located in 5 countries.
- Escrow.com has processed $5.6 Billion AUD worth of transactions in total, which is approximately $4 Billion USD.
- Escrow.com processed 33% more payments last year than in the prior year.
- The company has 47 financial services licenses from around the world.
- Some notable domain names that have sold using the services of Escrow.com and shared in the article include SpaceX.com, Twitter.com, Uber.com, Instagram.com, Gmail.com, Chrome.com, and Prime.com.
The article provides a nice bit of insight into what Escrow.com does and how big the company has grown. Domain investors might consider sharing this contemporary article with a counterparty to a domain name deal who hasn’t heard of Escrow.com and has some reticence to use an escrow service they do not know about. It could help show the company’s legitimacy and offer an additional level of assurance.