When I was attending NamesCon, I received an email from Sedo announcing the release of the 2020 Global Domain Report in collaboration with InterNetX, an advertiser here. I did not have a chance to read the report while I was away, but I read it last night. The free report “includes insights into the status quo of the domain industry, along with the latest developments, tendencies and trends of the global domain market and provides a view on potential market and business opportunities.”
The report is based on internal data analyses done by InterNetX and Sedo, and it also includes information from third party sources. For instance, the Radix premium sales data is included in the report. At 39 pages in length, the report has a lot of useful information within it, and it covers all aspects of the domain name market – including legacy TLDs, ccTLDs, and the new gTLD extensions. The report includes information and insight about domain registrations, domain registrants, trends, and sales. It includes both data and some analysis of the data.
Here are a few data points from the report that I found interesting, but this is just the tip of the iceberg as the report has much more information:
- The top 5 extensions sold via Sedo: .com, .de, .net, .org, .eu
- “SedoMLS makes up a significant proportion (29 %) of all Sedo sales, while other sales (71 %) happened through Sedo’s marketplace directly.”
- Buy it now sales (domain names with BIN prices) accounted for 61% of sales on Sedo.
- “In 2019, a record was set for the highest Buy Now deal: with just one click, links.com was bought for $798,000.“
- Top 5 most popular new gTLD extensions at Sedo: .App, .XYZ, .Online, .Club, .Shop
As mentioned before, much of the sales data and information comes from Sedo’s sales. It would be interesting to see if the data would hold up on other domain sales platforms. My guess is Sedo is more Europe-focused because of its partners and network, so the data might be different than if compared to GoDaddy data.
The report is free, although people who wish to download the report pdf must provide their name and contact details.