There Are Now 10 Million New gTLD Domain Names

10 Million New gTLD Domain Names

According to, there are now over 10 million new gTLD domain names registered. The current total noted by the new gTLD tracking website is actually 10,096,774.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the 9 million registration mark was hit, and it seems like the registration number is gaining speed. I would primarily attribute this to a combination of factors including  purchases  (perhaps speculation) from China-based domain name registrants, low registration  prices, and the announcement of Alphabet by Google and its usage of a new gTLD domain name, ABC.XYZ for its website.

As of this morning, the 5 new gTLD extensions with the most registrations are:

  • .XYZ
  • .Top
  • .Wang
  • .Win
  • .网址 (xn--ses554g)

In addition to these top 5 registries, there are also 8 extensions that have over 100,000 domain names registered: .Club, .Science, .Party, .Link, .Click, .Ren, .Website, and .Realtor. .Online and .Date have just a bit fewer than 100,000 registered domain names.

Perhaps interestingly, GoDaddy, the largest domain name registrar in the world, is not the registrar with the most registered new gTLD domain names. That honor goes to a Chinese company called Chengdu West Dimension Digital Technology Co., Ltd. This company currently has 15.04% of all new gTLD domain names registered. GoDaddy has 9.57% of all registered new gTLD domain names.

At the present time, there are 794 new gTLD domain name extensions, according to In addition, 54.16% of the registered new gTLD domain names are currently parked. I am not sure if this information includes domain names that resolve to a default registrar landing page with PPC advertising or if this number only includes domain names that resolve to known domain name parking nameservers.

It is going to be interesting to continue to follow the growth of the new gTLD domain names. I presume the registration numbers will continue to grow, but I would expect a plateau at some point. I have no idea when a plateau may happen though, but that’s just my opinion.

Thanks to nTLDStats for all of this information.

Elliot Silver
Elliot Silver
About The Author: Elliot Silver is an Internet entrepreneur and publisher of Elliot is also the founder and President of Top Notch Domains, LLC, a company that has closed eight figures in deals. Please read the Terms of Use page for additional information about the publisher, website comment policy, disclosures, and conflicts of interest. Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn


  1. Thanks for the info Elliot. I appreciate the numbers. You mentioned that roughly 55% are parked. Are the other 45% being developed?

    And by the way, what did you do with the extra tickets to Vegas? Still have any?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Recent Posts

Poll: Are You Going to ICANN 79?

The ICANN 79 Community Forum Meeting is coming up in a couple of weeks. The meeting will be held in Puerto Rico from March...

Domain Broker’s Ad Campaign Highlighted by X Business with a Repost from Elon Musk

When looking at domain investor Twitter, I've noticed a few promoted/advertising tweets mentioning Rob Schutz and/or I recently wrote about Rob and his...

NameJet Announces Platform Enhancements

Last Summer, NameJet made some "big changes" to its platform. In essence, NameJet appears to have become a clone of Snapnames, its sister auction...

Rationale Behind Acquisition

It's not often that we hear from the founders of a company to discuss why they spent what they did to acquire a specific...

.Bet Domain Name Acquired for 5 Figures, Reportedly Resold for $600k

According to a tweet from Identity Digital (formerly Donuts), the domain name reportedly sold for $600,000. I have not verified or researched the...