It’s a big Sunday for me, but I feel lazy right now. My wife is running in the ING New York City Marathon this morning, and she’s been up since 4:30am. I will be running around finding a couple of good spots to watch the run, so I am sure I will be tired when it’s all done.
Here are a few updates for Sunday:
– Yesterday, Adam posted a comment in a post that appears to have turned into a referendum on .TV, “They might change their mind and use it when Google launches Google TV.” I hadn’t thought about Google using .TV, but that could change the awareness of .TV and bring more value. The big issue is that Google seems to be using Google.com/TV instead. In fact, Google.TV forwards to Google.com – not even their Google TV website. Whether Google brands .TV or .COM could have big implications for .TV investors (I am not one of them yet).
– The more I think about it, the more I know how valuable a generic domain name is to a business. You can see it with the sale of Quidsi (owner of Diapers.com and Soap.com) to Amazon. Even more important though is the founders’ entrepreneurial spirit, business acumen, and ability to raise VC funding if necessary for growth.
– Speaking of Quidsi, it was reported on the Next Level Media, LLC website that Quidsi previously acquired YoYo.com for $500,000. I believe this domain name was owned by a well known domain investor’s company.
– Good article on TheDomains.com yesterday about separating different business units into individual companies for legal purposes. It’s a reason I have two completely separate companies with different focuses. It’s a good read if you are serious about domain names.
– I finally want to congratulate my brother Scott for passing the Bar in the State of New York and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I acquired a pretty easy to remember domain name for him to use when he’s ready… SHS.com.