I’ve said it before and I will say it again, New Orleans is my favorite city in the US (aside from where I live). There are a ton of great restaurants, an awesome music scene, unique art galleries, upscale shops, nice hotels, and of course, great bars and night life. I’ve been in New Orleans with my wife for the past few days, and it’s been a nice little vacation.
Here are some New Orleans Sunday updates.
- I had a good meeting with Don Jones at NewOrleans.com. He showed us some southern hospitality, and we had a nice time discussing geodomain names and the new direction of NewOrleans.com. A few years back, I made him a 6 figure offer for the domain name when they were first developing it, and of course, the offer was turned down. In seeing what they are doing with the site and hearing about its exciting future plans, I am very glad its in their hands and not mine.
- I learned more about the new non-profit GeoPublishers organization from Don, and I am planning to attend the Expo in October 2011 in Chicago.
- My favorite restaurants this trip were Herbsaint, GW Fins, Dooky Chase’s, and Arnaud’s. Come to think of it, we really didn’t have a bad meal at all.
- We went to a new bar on Bourbon St. called Bourbon Live featuring a live band every night. When we walked to the bar to order, a guy came up to us and asked if he could buy us a drink. He was one of the investor owners (the bar has been opened a week). He introduced us to the young guy who primarily owns/runs the place. Turns out, he’s working with the NewOrleans.com team on building his website and marketing the bar.
- Only at the W Hotel in New Orleans would the Fiji water ($6.00) be more expensive than the Abita beer ($3.00) at our mini bar.
- Domain Boardroom has had some technical issues for a couple of days, but I am told these are being fixed as we speak. It should be back up and running soon.
- I really need to find a way to be able to place last minute bids at NameJet automatically without having to be on the computer. I am not a technical person and haven’t had a script or something built, so my backordering is all done by hand. It’s not that easy on the weekends, especially when I’m out of town. How do you manage?
Hey Elliot, another good restaurant is August by the casino. Check it out next time you visit.
Herbsaint is great. New Orleans is also one of my favorite US cities. Don Jones and Bill Hammack are class acts.
Agree with you completed. Unfortunately for us, Bill was out of the city this weekend.
Sounds like a great trip Elliot and awesome to collaborate with other geo-domainers. They are doing great things at NewOrleans.com and I’d be interested in hearing a follow-up post on some of the things you learned!
Safe travels back to NYC, after all my world travels I STILL have not been to New Orleans, need to add it to an upcoming trip!!
You love music and haven’t been to New Orleans??? You need to go!
Re: Last-minute Namejet bids, domainface.com is supposed to offer that functionality. I tried a demo months ago, and the automated bidding interface was having problems, but supposedly, the kinks are worked out now…
The other features of the service are nice, but not worth $69/mo IMO.
If you try it, please let me know how well it works for you.
Hmmm never been to New Orleans. Sounds brilliant though Elliott. On my to do list…