This is a popular request, so I will share an “end user” sales email that I’ve been sending lately. Keep in mind that I target potential buyers very carefully, and I strongly urge you to do the same. Sending mass emails may annoy people, and it could probably get you in trouble with your hosting company, email provider, or potentially worse, depending on your emails, targeting, and volume.
I would hope you are smart enough to make changes to this email to make it unique. I make changes often, depending on response rate. I recommend that you come up with your own pitch, and again, only send out emails if they are well targeted and the domain name is actually good enough that it doesn’t need to be explained.
There are a few things to notice:
- My email is succinct. I am not sending out emails regarding second tier or alternative extension domain names. The names I am pitching, in my opinion, don’t need any type of extra sales pitch.
- I include my business address and let the recipient know that it’s a one time email. I honor that promise by only emailing the recipient once.
- I do not list the price, as I would prefer to discuss once I have received replies in order to gauge the interest.
- I have a link to my website so people can learn more about my company. This is a way of showing that I am legitimate, and if they agree to a deal with me, I won’t flake. You might also add your phone number if you wish.
- I do my absolute best to find out the name of the recipient, so I address it “Hi Jim” or something like that to make it more personal.
- The subject is the keyword of the domain name, but not the .com. If you are targeting buyers as you should, the subject will be meaningful. If you are using some automated software to pick potential buyers, obviously that won’t work so well.
Here’s the email I’ve been using lately:
My company owns (Domain Name). While seeking out potential buyers for this domain name, your company came up as a potential suitor for it.
I am reaching out to a number of companies (in the X) who might have an interest in buying (Domain Name), and I would appreciate it if you would let me know if you’d like to discuss it further.
I use Escrow.com to transact, and I am happy to guide you through the transfer process to ensure the domain name is in your possession.
Elliot J. Silver
Top Notch Domains, LLC
This is a one time email.