2011 is coming to a close, and while there are a lot of distractions, I think there are some important pieces of business to tend to before you close out the year. Here are some of the things I am trying to accomplish before the new year. If you have anything to add, please do so.
- Renew your .com and .net domain names. Prices are increasing in 2012 no matter which registrar you use, so if there are domain names you know you’ll want to renew, now is the time to do it.
- Buy your office supplies, office products, computers, office furniture, and other needs so you can take the write offs in 2011.
- Visit aftermarket brokerages like Sedo and Afternic to update your domain sales list. Make sure the list is accurate, add new domain names, and remove sold domain names. Update your pricing to reflect current market conditions.
- Visit your parking company websites to ensure that your domain names are well targeted. Check the DNS of your domain names, especially names you won at auction, to be sure you properly changed the DNS and they are all resolving as they should.
- Schedule a call with your tax accountant ASAP to see if there are any things you can do in 2011 to maximize your tax deductions and write offs before it’s too late.
- Update your record books. Finalize your records now to include all purchases, sales, expenses, and other important information. It’s much easier to do the update when everything is fresh in your mind rather than in a few months from now when you start doing your taxes.
- Review your goals for 2011 that you set at the end of 2010 to see how you did. Think about things you’ve learned in 2011 to come up with a game plan for 2012.
- Put together a budget / P&L estimate for 2012.
- Update your footers to 2012 and make sure the forms, capatcha codes, and outgoing website links on your developed websites are all functioning properly.
- Pay in advance for subscriptions like e-fax, newsletter subscription, email provider, and other monthly renewals.
Finalize designated driver for New Years Eve festivities!
Delete trademark infringing / worthless domains from your portfolio. Get rid of the useless clutter.
make a will or update your will.
Send a check to the US Treasury telling them “I LOVE USA”
Drop all the “pigeon Shit” domains and start 2012 only with quality domains as the time for “pigeon shit” domains is over!
“Renew your .com and .net domain names”
Why .com and .net only?
I believe those are the only ones facing a price increase. You could also renew other names in advance for tax purposes I would imagine (I am not an accountant).
Regarding point # 9, better yet, use PHP (or whatever scripting language you’d prefer) to echo/print the present year. If you’re going to go through the trouble of updating every site/footer, you might as well make it worth your while so that you won’t have to do it ever again. Work smarter, not harder. 🙂
.biz is also gonna get more expensive.. so renew those too if u got some..
I was going to mention the php year thing too, if you’re gonna take the trouble to update now then you may as well make it auto. http://codesnippets.joyent.com/posts/show/191 this snippet is a good start.
Hope and pray the Mayans got it wrong about the end of the world in 2012. 😉
Prices are increasing in 2012 no matter which registrar you use, – what determines domain registration, reneval cost? are there maximum prices which are corrected each year?