As the year is coming to a close, most of us will be pre-occupied with other activities. There will hopefully be time with family and friends, perhaps some travel, or maybe you’ll work through the end of the year trying to hit your numbers or ensure that you don’t leave any money on the table.
Whatever your plans are for the final week of the year, now is a good time to go through your end of the year checklist to be sure you close the year out on a good note and are prepared for the new year. My business focus will primarily be on the checklist items below. I invite you to add items to the list of things that need to get done before the end of the year.
- Speak with your accountant to see if there are any advantage to spending money on certain expenses now rather than in the new year. Perhaps you can renew domain names or hosting now rather than next year.
- Purchase your NamesCon and Traffic conference tickets in advance. If you’ve already purchased them, buy your airfare or pay for your hotel room.
- Review parking landing pages to ensure that they are correctly targeted. Go over parking reports and identify underperforming domain names.
- Finalize your accounting records for the year and set up your books for 2014.
- Update your domain name sale listings at domain aftermarket websites. Remove domain names that were sold or dropped, and update your prices to reflect current market conditions.
- Look into your monthly subscriptions to make sure they are still valid. Perhaps you bought a fax machine and no longer need to use the e-fax account.
- Follow up on old purchase inquiries. Perhaps someone is interested in a last minute deal.
- Go through your portfolio and turn the auto-renew feature off for names you don’t want to renew, and be sure that names you do want to review have the auto-renew function on.
- Make sure all NameJet and Snapnames purchases resolve to the correct DNS. Test your other acquisitions as well.