Now that I am committed to attending the GeoDomain Expo in San Diego next month, I want to make a few suggestions about what I’d like to see on the agenda to get the most out of the conference. There are many changes that have taken place in the geodomain business, and I think this is going to be an important conference.
There are a lot of successful websites doing a variety of things, and I think it will be great to hear about the various tactics that are working and aren’t working.
Here are a few suggestions for discussions:
– Socia Media – How are some of the biggest brands integrating social media tools into their websites? Are sites using discussion forums, Twitter/Digg/Facebook/StumbleUpon icons, comment submission, and/or other tactics? Are their particular companies that geodomain websites can work with cost effectively (such as Pluck)?
– Newpaper Model – Although most geodomains are used for tourism, have any small businesses jumped into the newspaper/media industry to provide relevant news content? Do they use content writers, professional journalists, amateur writers who are readers, or syndicated content?
– Fresh Content – How are geodomain owners keeping their websites updated regularly with relevant content? Who is responsible for creating and adding the content?
– Ad Sales – For non-local geodomain owners, how are advertising sales made locally? What strategies are working and what aren’t working? What is the key to advertising sales if you don’t live in the area?
– Search Engine Strategies – Google/Yahoo can be the key to a site’s thriving or failure. What is the best way to get rankings for your primary city keywords, site links, and long tail keyword results – and ensure that they are kept? Are there good link exchange strategies that I can employ?
– Event sponsorships & Memberships – Where should the geodomain owner spend funds in the local community? Should the geodomain sponsor sporting events, cultural activities, or make contributions to local charities? Is the local Chamber of Commerce or the Rotary Club a necessary membership? How about others?
What else have I missed that should be discussed?