Hoping you are enjoying this nice Valentine’s Day Sunday today. I can’t believe how many big events are happening today (other than the fact it’s Valentine’s Day. The Olympics continue, the NBA is holding its All Star Game in Dallas, and the Daytona 500 are all happening today. Meanwhile, here are a few thoughts and updates from me:
- Thank you to everyone who came out for the Domainer Get Together in New York City this week. Somewhere between 25-30 people showed up for the last minute event, which had David and Michael Castello as honored guests. After we finished the cocktail party, a group of us went to dinner and the Castello Brothers treated us to dinner. Not only are they generous with their expert knowledge, but they are also very generous in general. It’s always fun hanging out with these guys.
- I’ve been watching the Olympics and keep seeing commercials for World25.org, Quincy Jones’ website where you can download the 25th anniversary remake of Michael Jackson’s and Lionel Richie’s We Are the World, with proceeds benefiting Haiti’s earthquake victims. Kudos for registering World25.com and World25.org and forwarding both to WeAreTheWorldFoundation.org. How in the world did someone register WeAreTheWorldFoundation.com before Quincy Jones got the .org? If you come up with an idea for a website, grab the domain name ASAP. The walls have ears.
- After you launch a website and start ranking for the primary keyword phrase, don’t rest on your laurels. Start making an effort to rank for related terms and phrases. DogWalker.com is #1 in Google for “dog walker,” but I have been making strides on other terms. According to SEO Book’s Rank Checker, the site has improved to #8 for dog walkers and #22 for dog walking in Google. These will become important sources of traffic assuming they continue to rank higher.
- I want to wish a good and prosperous new year to all of my friends who are celebrating the Chinese New Year.
- Back to the Olympics and domain names for a second. I have been using the Olympics as an opportunity to learn about new sports and try to register some domain names related to them. One example is LugeSleds.com, which I was able to buy yesterday. Don’t know if it will be worth anything, but it’s worth a shot I suppose.
- Congrats to Donna at Domain Boardroom on the strong results in Andrew’s survey. Aside from selling domain names in various places, DBR is really the only domain chat forum where I participate. The results are strong considering the limited number of members vs. the huge communities that exist elsewhere.
Good pickup on LugeSleds.com.
Valentines day, if figures but my wife is PMS today and no matter what I do, it’s not good enough. I rather spend today with Charles Manson than my wife PMS. Oh well, in 2 days she will love me again:)
My wife is in Atlanta visiting her sister and newborn niece, so it’s just me and my dog today.
Get off the damn computer and clean the kitchen, you lazy slob. You’re not good for anything! My dad was right – I should have married Bill.
Went out for Dim Sum for the Chinese New Year-it’s going to be a Roaring year-
Year of the Tiger-happiness -success- and lots of prosperity