At the end of every quarter, Sedo publishes a Domain Market Study to give people an overview of the previous quarter at Sedo. The report can be helpful to domain investors to see marketplace trends and know what’s happening on the ground at one of the largest domain aftermarkets.
Posted below are some interesting facts (in my opinion) from Q3 that were just published by Sedo. You can read the full Q3 Domain Market Study (pdf) on Sedo’s website.
- .COM and .DE were the most frequently sold domain extensions
- Fewer than 50% of all sales were .COM domain names. In total, 49% of Sedo’s sales were .COM
- .CO saw a drop off last quarter, and totaled 2% of all sales
- .TV was not one of the top 10 selling tld
- Total sales volume was just under $20,000,000
- 38% of all sales came from offer-counter offer negotiations. 32% of sales was from buy it now listings.
- Nearly half of all sales were for $500 or less.
- Sales of $50,000 or more accounted for only 1% of all sales
- Average .com sale dipped to $2,496 this quarter from $3,114 last quarter
- Software was the top selling category