Sedo shared an illustrative infographic with the details from its 2013 Domain Market Study. For your convenience, I have shared the infographic with you below, but you can visit Sedo’s website to see the infographic in its original (larger) size.
While the report is limited to sales and date from Sedo’s marketplace, I think it is a good barometer for the domain industry in general because of Sedo’s reach and the amount of business the company does annually.
Here is some data from the study, highlighted by Sedo:
- Sedo had 37,241 transactions in its domain marketplace (up 3% from 2012)
- Mean average price of $1,893 across all sales (increase from $1,885)
- 53% of all sales were .com domain names (increase of 5% year over year)
- Buy it Now sales accounted for 44 percent of all sales in 2013 (up from 41 percent in 2012)
- 47 percent of all sales for the year were valued at $500 or less
- .net saw a decrease in mean price to $1,384 (down from $1,880 in 2012) and .org saw an increase in mean price to $1,357 (up from $1,315 in 2012)
2013 Market Study infographic: