As the largest escrow provider in the domain name business, Escrow.com is in the unique position of being able to see and analyze domain name sales data over a long period of time. Escrow.com has started to publish quarterly reports covering domain name and website sales transacted via its platform. This afternoon, Escrow.com released the Domain Investment Index report from the first quarter of 2019 (download the pdf here). The report has high level information about deals transacted via Escrow.com.
Here is some of the most interesting data reported by Escrow.com in this report:
- More than $85 million USD in sales were transacted via Escrow.com in Q1.
- There were more transactions in the US than other countries.
- There was a “surge” in transaction value from parties in Hong Kong and Canada.
- 2/3 character domain name sales down considerably from high, but up over many prior years.
- 4 character sales reached new highs.
- $15.2 million USD worth of deals involving domain names with websites was transacted via Escrow.com.
There is a lot of interesting information to digest in this report. One thing readers should keep in mind is that one or two anomalous sales (ie a $10m+ sale) can throw off some of the data points now and in years past.