Breaking: GeoDomain Expo on Schedule

I received confirmation this evening that Associated Cities’ GeoDomain Expo will go on as scheduled in San Diego. The event will be held April 23-25, and the conference agenda should be posted in the coming days.

Josh Metnick, Director and largest shareholder of Associated Cities, has assured me that conference dates are an absolute, though “AC is experiencing some serious internal planning and corporate mission issues which we expect to have rectified by then.

For more details about the conference, visit the Associated Cities website.   I am going to see what I can do to attend, as I was informed that San Diego is just a couple hours from Burbank.

As reported in DNW today based on survey results asking about the most popular domain conferences, “the biggest gainer this year was the GeoDomain Expo.”   Based on some initial feedback from acquaintances in the industry, attendance is expected to be strong.

Elliot Silver
Elliot Silver
About The Author: Elliot Silver is an Internet entrepreneur and publisher of Elliot is also the founder and President of Top Notch Domains, LLC, a company that has closed eight figures in deals. Please read the Terms of Use page for additional information about the publisher, website comment policy, disclosures, and conflicts of interest. Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn


  1. If this show is a GO, I recommend anyone on the fence about going buy a ticket. I went last year and it was great!

    Many great people to meet and network with.

    In a down year like 2009 it even more important to improve your knowledge and contacts.

  2. Thanks for getting this right, Elliot. It’s hard to believe that the usually credible Ron Jackson relied on an unreliable source.

    San Diego will be a great place for this expo. The thing that makes Associated Cities so cool is that it is a truly grassroots organization led by entrepreneurs who don’t always agree.

    I’m glad to see that the show’s going on and will plan to be there!

    • @ David,

      Ron Jackson is probably the most credible person in the business. Ron posted another report last night:

      I, too, await the official AC statement. However, in conversing with Josh and others, I do feel confident that the show will go on – and that the event will be well attended by many of the best and brightest in the geo business.

  3. I’m very excited about this and look forward to meeting a lot of you folks. Tim D – we will definitely need to talk. I have a bit of property across the bay…

  4. Ron Jackson is reporting that some internal politics within the board of Associated Cities is causing a difference of opinions on whether or not the GeoDomain conference is going to be held. Josh Metnick is reporting that the conference will go on as planned and other board members are saying that it will not. Ron apparently believes these other board members because he has cancelled his reservations for San Diego.

    Today (3/15) is the last day to get the early bird price for the conference and I was planning on signing up today. However, with all of the uncertainty, I think I’ll be holding off. I hope AC will extend the early bird price if they decide to hold the conference.

    • @Lou – I am sure AC will work something out.

      I do know there are a number of people committed to going to San Diego already. The best (and most beneficial) part of the conference was meeting with the top geodomain owners, and I know most will be there – although I can’t/won’t publish who has personally told me they are going (confirmed in the last 48 hours). If I don’t go, it will be because of the economy and my need to get to Burbank (I live in NYC and don’t want to do 4 cross-country flights in a short period of time).

      I am also awaiting an “official” AC response, but the bottom line is that if I can work out the finances and the flight issues I will be there.

  5. @Lou – My decision to cancel my reservations is not based on believing one faction of the board over another faction (I know and like all of the people on both sides of this unfortunate situation). When a board members told me a board vote decided the show would be canceled (and multiple other sources within AC confirmed that to me) I reported it and canceled my reservations. Days later a different board member said the show will go on but the original members I spoke with say that under the organization’s bylaws he doesn’t have the authority to unilaterally make that decision. It looks like the group’s attorney will have to decide who can do what under AC’s operating agreement. In this atmosphere, I am not going to reschedule the trip regardless of how this drama plays out.

Leave a Reply

Recent Posts Announces 2023 Master of Domains

During the NamesCon conference today, announced its Master of Domains winners. The annual award celebrates "the highest grossing domain name brokers for deals...

How to Buy a Domain Name That is Owned by Someone

For a domain investor, buying a domain name is second nature. Investors hand register domain names, purchase domain names via expiry and private auctions,...

My 2023 Domain Industry PMC Jersey

For a number of years, I have created a domain industry Pan-Mass Challenge jersey to raise funds for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Many domain industry... Profitably Resold for 8 Figures

In March of this year, I reported on the sale of The domain name was acquired by HubSpot Co-Founder Dharmesh Shah for more...

First Look at my 2023 Domain Industry PMC Jersey

This August, I will be riding in my 10th Pan-Mass Challenge ride to raise funds for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I will be riding...