There are over 200 million domain names that are already registered. Domain names have been available to purchase for over 30 years, and just about all of the best domain names have been long-registered. The only way to buy a domain name that is already registered is to buy it directly from the registrant.
There are many ways to buy domain names that are already owned. Some of those ways include the following:
- Buying on an aftermarket site like Sedo, Dan.com, or Afternic
- Buying a premium domain name via GoDaddy, Namecheap, or other registrar
- Contacting the domain owner through a form on the domain name landing page
- Contacting a domain registrant using the Whois records
- Hiring a domain broker to reach out to the domain registrant to buy a domain name
Even with domain buying experience, it can be difficult to get in touch with someone who owns a domain name. It can also be a challenge to negotiate the purchase of a domain name without knowledge about domain name values and buying domain names.
GoDaddy posted a video to share advice about buying domain names when they are already owned by someone else. The advice shared by Joe Styler is helpful to a domain buyer who is looking to buy a domain from someone else.